Female Contractors

Are more women contracting and freelancing than men?

19 November 2014

A recent survey by PeopleperHour, an online business that helps match freelancers to very short term jobs or tasks, claims to have found that 58% of new freelance positions were being won by women.

The survey also claimed that female freelancers were now earning more than their male counterparts. Although a new term to us, it has been described as a rise of the “mumpreneur”!

How does this Compare to What we have Seen at Umbrella.co.uk?

Through our umbrella company, Umbrella-Company Limited, our recent analysis has shown that 35.8% are female contractors and 64.2% therefore male.

In our accountancy arm, Umbrella Accountants LLP, where we provide accountancy and taxation services to freelancers operating through their own limited companies we have found that 40% are owned and ran by female freelancers and therefore the remainder are 60% male freelancers.